Sunday, December 03, 2006

Reaching Home Plate Safely


In my last post, I tried to explain how imagination and skillfull attention to detail are permitting some wine enthusiasts to carry wine home in this age of ever-tightening airline restrictions. The real substance of my case, though, comes from my friend Tony who recently carried 21 bottles back from Provence -- without hassle or breakage.

Just in case you don't read comment threads and are interested in how he did it, you need to read his comments. I could never have explained in such detail how he was able to get them all home unscathed.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just under a year ago on Dec. 26th I returned home with 20 bottles of wine from Australia's Hunter Valley and Margaret River and a few from New Zealand. They were strategically placed in my suitcases wrapped first in bubble wrap and then in clothing. Of course I was over my baggage limit so after paying $120 in overage and purchasing and additional small suitcase for $60 I was off. When I arrived in Toronto, customs couldn't believe how many bottles I had. Luckily, I had a friend customs agent who only charged me for 7 bottles with a value of $75.00; about 1/10th of the actual value.
In August, three other bottles that I had left behind arrive in Toronto when my girlfriend arrived. I'm am still waiting on the remaining three which will arrive a full year later when friends come to visit.
It was certainly worth all the additional costs and weight as these were bottles that will never be available in Toronto.

6:30 PM  
Blogger JD said...

Like Tony, it sounds like you really know what you're doing. I'm beginning to think I can do this, too. Thanks for the benefit of your experience.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

modernmod, way to go...
Anyone can do it with a little forethought.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home